Breakfast burritos filled with Hatch green chile have got to be one of the things I miss most about New Mexico (aside from my family, of course!) And Sam had never even heard of a breakfast burrito, unless it was just your leftover dinner burrito eaten at breakfast. No sir, it is not! It’s a glorious meal all in it’s own right and I was pleased to show him the way of New Mexican breakfasts.
- Salsa (homemade, you can see my recipe http://rhymeandribbons.com/2013/02/salsa-and-guacamole.html)
- 4 eggs
- dash of milk
- 1 cup of sautéed potatoes, or hash potatoes
- shredded cheese
- 2 wheat tortillas
- Breakfast burritos are one of the most simple but delicious breakfast items out there.
- Pre-make your salsa the night before. Sauté your potatoes or hash. Crack your eggs into a bowl and add a dash of milk. Stir them until throughly combined before pouring into a hot pan to start scrambling your eggs. Whilst your eggs are cooking, warm your tortillas in the microwave or oven.
- Assemble your burritos by layering the eggs and potato then topping with a hearty scooping of the salsa and then a sprinkle of cheese.
- You can add so many other tasty things to breakfast burritos, including bacon, sausage or chorizo. (Bacon's my meat of choice!)
The only thing that was missing from these breakfast burritos was some Hatch green chile. Why oh why can’t I get it in England?!