My mouth salivates every time I think about this meal. It’s one of my absolute favourites. It’s delicious, super cheap to make, and quite quick. In fact, the only reason that I haven’t blogged about it before now is because whenever I make it, I’m too excited to eat to make time for photos!
- 2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 red thai chillies, chopped
- 400 g of chopped tomatoes (canned is easiest)
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley to top, if desired
- Heat your rapeseed oil in a large pan. Then cook the onions, garlic, peppers and chillies for several minutes. Until the onions go translucent.
- Next add the tomatoes and the sugar, stirring frequently. Cook until most of the liquid as reduced and evaporated.
- Create 4 holes amongst the tomato mixture to nestle the eggs into. Crack an egg into each hole. Cover your pan and lower the heat a touch. Cook until the eggs are just set.
- Season with salt and pepper, and top your dish with chopped parsley right before serving.
- This dish has a bit of a kick, so if you aren't great with spicy food, I'd only use 1 red chilli instead.
Eggs cooked in rich tomato sauce are the best! And don’t just take my word on it!