Lifestyle Wedding

Wedding || The Morning Of The Big Day

It’s now been 3 months since the wedding, and I finally can share all the photos and a bit of reflection. So this week will be a wedding heavy week with a brief Bake Off interlude tomorrow.

The morning of the wedding, I woke up as soon as it was light out and was absolutely wide awake. The night before we had gotten a lot of the people who were in town for the wedding to meet up at a local pub, and then at 10pm Sam and I went our separate ways. Sam went back to his mom’s house to be with his brothers, and I headed to our hotel room with my Maid of Honour, GB. We stayed up far too late gossiping, swapping gifts, eating lots of candy and watching “Bridesmaids”. I actually had my first teary moment because she’d made me this absolutely incredible memory box and photo album a la “Bridesmaids”. 

Whilst Sam had a fairly stressful morning running around doing last minute errands and waiting for the caterers, I was absolutely chilled out. Maybe too chilled? GB and I had a leisurely breakfast downstairs in the hotel, before all the other bridesmaids and my mom came over to join us. Luckily our room was massive because with 5 bridesmaids, my mom, myself and the woman doing our hair it could have been quite the squeeze. 

We ended up getting through quite a lot of Prosecco whilst getting ready and I think it’s safe to say that more than 1 person was in a giddy alcohol haze by the time we left the hotel. I hadn’t picked out bridesmaids dresses, as I liked the idea of a mishmash of styles so that everyone had something that suited them, so one of the joys on the morning of was seeing all the dresses (in person) that everyone had picked out for themselves. 

Whilst I was getting my hair done, my bridesmaids had a surprise for me: they’d all written me letters about our friendship to read to me on the morning of my wedding. (Thank you, Charlotte, as I know that you spearheaded that!) I had a 6th bridesmaid who hadn’t been able to make it, so Lindsay turned on Skype, and there was my missed bridesmaid, 5 hours behind us in the early Atlanta morning, wearing her bridesmaid dress reading her letter to me. I cried. Obviously. Tears: 2, Me: 0. And then Charlotte read me her letter and again I was destroyed. Tears: 3, Me: 0. But I felt somewhat vindicated as Charlotte’s letter had made my mom cry as well. At that point, my hair was finished and it was time to start my makeup, though I had to wait for all my tears to dry first (I’m literally not exaggerating.) 

I can’t thank my bridesmaids enough for that special morning. It’s honestly one of the parts of the day that sticks out most vividly in my mind. I’m so blessed to have such wonderful friends. I was bowled over by the fact that all of them flew out from America to be there with me, and not only that, they made the trek up to Yorkshire.  It’s really true friendship, and it chokes me up a bit even now to think about how loved they made me feel that weekend. 

Our wonderful photographer turned up to take some getting ready photos and he brought a gift bag with him that Sam had given him to give to me: a sweet card, my favourite candy and another bottle of Prosecco. Definitely a keeper. For my gift to all my special ladies, I had reached out the the wonderful Eliisa of Elkin (her jewellery has been featured in pretty much every major English magazine publication and as she’s a friend I want to give her a huge shout out!) and got colour coordinating bracelets for all the girls (and myself). 

Our ceremony was outside, and the sky was getting dark, so I was getting more and more anxious about the weather and knew the importance of leaving on time. The last bit of prep was done in such a rush that I literally never checked my makeup in the mirror before I left. 

I’d wrapped my bouquet of flowers in the handkerchief that my grandmother carried on her wedding day. (The same grandmother who’s engagement ring I wear.) As we were leaving the hotel, one of the front desk staff came running out the door shouting “Wait!” She took off her blue dragonfly broach and said, “You  don’t have anything borrowed” handed her broach to me, and went back to her desk. I was floored by this act of kindness and happiness and I fastened the handkerchief to my flowers with her broach. (Thank you so much to the staff at the Mount Hotel for making that day so special for me.) 

Sam’s stepfather was waiting outside the hotel with their little car, and the bridesmaids had a separate taxi to take them out to Hackness Village Hall, where we were getting married. Sam’s nieces had decorated the car for me, and it was adorable and so lovely. My mom, GB and I piled into the car and off we went. 

The drive was so surreal. I got weirdly anxious on the ride out to Hackness. It’s about a 15 minute drive, but I started to feel quite lightheaded. At one point in time, I honestly thought I’d be sick. I wasn’t worried about Sam not turning up, but I think the emotional gravity of the day and what I was about to do only hit me when we were driving. I’m pretty sure I turned ghostly pale – or at least  even paler than I am already – and I wasn’t really able to feel my legs anymore. 

And then we were there….

Scarborough Seafront on our wedding day.
The sea around noon at July 23rd, 2016.
Some of the “lads” figuring out their bowties. 
Sam in his mum’s garden. 
The Mount Hotel where I was staying. 
The dragonfly pin given to me by the kind woman on reception, and my grandmother’s wedding handkerchief. 

Tomorrow I’ll be back to regularly scheduled #bakeoffbakealong posts for Week 8: Tudor Week, but I’ll be back with more wedding posts on Wednesday and for the rest of the week. 

***All photo credit goes to Neil Jackson Photographic****

You Might Also Like