This was one of those “let’s use everything we have left in the fridge at the end of the week” recipes. And if I say so myself, it turned out really well. So here you go: Pesto Chicken with Roasted Vegetables. Sam also loved it, but he’d love anything if you covered it in pesto.
To reduce the amount of time that I needed to spend in the kitchen, I roasted most of my veg first and then whacked them all in the pan once the chicken had finished cooking. This is the kind of recipe that would be perfect for a Thursday night when you really want something filling and tasty, but you really don’t want to expend that much effort. My favourite element was the asparagus, but I’m an asparagus lover. (Especially when it’s a bit crisp and lemony!)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons of pesto
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 250 g of chopped mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 300 g asparagus spears
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 180 g cherry tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180 C. Arrange your asparagus on a baking tray and lightly drizzle it with olive oil. Do the same to the cherry tomatoes (on a separate tray). Pop them in the oven for 24-30 minutes or until tender.
- When your vegetables are almost finished, in a large pan of medium heat, melt your coconut oil and rub 1 tablespoon of pesto into your chicken. Cook your chicken through and then add in your mushrooms. The mushrooms let off a bit of water so cook that out. Toss in your asparagus, the remaining tablespoon of pesto, juice of half a lemon and your tomatoes.
- Serve on a bed of quinoa or brown rice. Salt and pepper to taste.
What are your favourite mid-week dinners?