This is the kind of cake you want when you just crave a bit of something-something but nothing too fancy: just a great, simple vanilla cake dusted with sugar. It’s quick, easy, delicious and great with a cup of tea. It’s absolutely the perfect thing to have when you’re craving cake but don’t want to faff around with making frosting, because, in all honesty, it doesn’t need it.
Just give it a quick dusting of powdered sugar (icing sugar to my UK readers) and you’re good to go!
- 175 g of softened unsalted butter, cubed
- 175 g of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175 g of self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 C. Grease your cake tin. (I used a 9inch round).
- Pop all your ingredients into a large bowl and beat the batter until smooth. Be careful not to overheat it though, or your cake will feel tough.
- Spoon the batter into your cake tin and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Set the cake aside to cool. Once it's cooled, dust the top with icing sugar.
What’s your favourite super simple recipe?