Roasted asparagus with tomatoes and poached eggs is the ultimate summer dinner in my opinion. I absolutely love when asparagus is in season and I try to eat as much of it as possible in those few months!
I served all these vegetable gloriousness on top of what I can English muffins. Which Sam informed me are just called “muffins”. But he calls normal muffins muffins so how would one differentiate if I wrote a grocery list on listing “muffins”? English speakers outside of the UK and the US, what do you call them?
- 1 bundle of fresh asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 carton of cherry tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 3 eggs
- English muffins, toasted
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200 C. Cut off the wooden ends of your asparagus spears. Drizzle them with a touch of olive oil and sprinkle them with your paprika. Spread them across a baking dish. Cut your cherry tomatoes in half and pop them into a dish. Put both the asparagus and the tomatoes in the oven for around 20-25 minutes. (Depending on how well roasted you like your veg.)
- In the meantime, make your lemon vinaigrette. Juice 1 lemon and pour the juice into a gravy boat. Then add in your mustard and white wine vinegar. Add in a dash of olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Stir it all together.
- Toast your English muffins and set them aside. In the last few minutes of roasting your vegetables, poach your eggs. Top your muffins with your roasted asparagus spears, tomatoes and then your poached eggs. Drizzle with your lemon vinaigrette.
This combo really screams “summer!” to me.
What are your favourite summer recipes?