Today’s recipe is really simple and surprisingly tasty. It’s one of my favourite ways to cook weeknight meals: fast, with few ingredients, but still packed with nutrition.
If you’re thinking ahead a bit, you could even cook your bulgar wheat whilst you are getting ready in the morning, then box it up and set it aside to just toss everything together when it comes to dinner time!
I was excited to make this for Sam as he’d never had bulgar wheat cooked at home before, and I think it’s a vastly overlooked grain. (If you’ve ever made tabbouleh at home, you’ve probably used bulgar wheat.) You can bulk buy it at our local health food shop, Tullivers, which is of course, another reason why I love it.
That’s why, without further ado, I bring to you a Bulgar Wheat and Roasted Tomato Salad.
- 100 g of bulgar wheat
- 450 g of cherry tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220 C.
- In a medium sized pot, add in your bulgar wheat. Pour boiling hot water over it, till there's 1 cm of water on top of the bulgar wheat and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then drain your bulgar wheat.
- Toss your cherry tomatoes and your red pepper on a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir your bulgar wheat, olive oil, basil and balsamic vinegar together. Top with your tomatoes and red pepper. Serve on a bed of rocket and salt and pepper to taste.
Do you have any quick weeknight vegetarian suggestions to pass along to me?