This is one of my favourite salads to make, so I’m actually shocked that I haven’t blogged about it before. It’s really cool and cleansing so it pairs really well with something a bit more spicy like a curry. (This particular Sesame Carrot Salad I made alongside my saag aloo).
It’s really light and flavourful, and even someone who claims that they won’t eat carrots will probably enjoy this. (I think it’s something about the carrots being shaved so finely – there’s more surface area for absorption so they really soak up all the acidic lemon flavour.)
I have terrible eye-sight so my family used to joke that I needed to eat a lot more carrots (which is probably true) but my vision now is so bad that I might as well stick carrots in my eyes than hope for any help from them now. However, carrots help lower blood pressure and are a great source of potassium so they are still definitely worth eating!
- 4 large carrots, shredded
- handful of coriander, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- 50 g of flaked almonds
- In a small pan, lightly toast the sesame seeds and almonds. Set them aside to cool.
- Toss your shredded carrots with the lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil. Top with almonds, sesame seeds and cilantro.
What’s your favourite salad?