There are few things that I enjoy more than a hearty Chickpea Salad. You can cook it to suit all seasons. In the summer and in warmer weather I like to leave my chickpeas raw, and in the winter I gently roast them for about 30 minutes.
I think this recipe packs a hearty punch of Mediterranean flavour, which you can easily adjust to best excite your palate by changing the amount of heat that you add to the salad.
Sam and I eat a lot of salads because they are an easy way to pack in a load of vegetables into one meal, and they are always quick to make on a weeknight. (So instead of defaulting to pizza, we sometimes default to salad these days).
- 450 g of drained chickpeas
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 1 red chilli, diced finely
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- 200 g of cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- juice of 1 lemon
- dash of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl and toss gently together.
- I served mine alongside some basmati rice and a green salad.
What are your favourite go-to salad recipes?